We work with communities to improve Boston’s neighborhoods through investing public resources. Our main jobs are to create housing options, support tenants, and manage the City’s real estate.
Want to take a deeper dive into our department structure and mission? Learn more about our work at Neighborhood Development.
The Homebuyer Club connects you with resources for buying a house in Boston. Find out how to join.
Buying a home in Boston? We may be able to give you financial help. Learn more about what we offer.
We work to prevent foreclosures, and help residents find ways to keep and maintain their homes.
News and announcements
Mayor Walsh unveils anti-displacement legislative agenda
$24 Million HUD grant to help the homeless announced
Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030
Neighborhood Homes Initiative
Grassroots and Open Space Development
Operation Support for Community Housing Development Organizations
Continuum of Care program
Office of Housing Stability
We developed a list so the public can learn about real estate projects we're working on in the City. You can browse our active projects and give us your opinion on them.
This map shows the location of properties within the Continuum of Care Portfolio, with respect to the FEMA Flood Hazard data. By clicking on the dot, you can find the address and hazard status. Also, clicking on the flood plain area reveals what type of flood hazard is represented, they are not all the same.
This map contains several categories of vacant land in the Highland Park area. It opens with the layer legend. From there you can scroll through:
- the layer list (where you can turn layers on and off)
- the base map gallery, and
- a tool to measure area or distance.
Click on any of the vacant land parcels and you will see a pop-up window displaying parcel information. Zoom in close enough and street numbers appear.
- Affordable Housing In Boston
- Student housing trends, 2016 - 2017 academic year
- Student housing trends, 2015 - 2016 academic year
- Student housing trends, 2014 - 2015 academic year
- Information on the Former Lewis Chemical Corporation
- Distressed buildings in Boston
- Neighborhood Development plans, reports, and notices